Wednesday, January 07, 2009

11 Years Later

When I was a little kid I used to ~LOVE~ flying home because we'd get off the plane, get through customs, get our luggage and walk out into the arrival area and my grandpa would be standing there waving. I'd run up to him give him a big hug, get my kiss and he'd drive us home. It was always my absolute FAVORITE part of any trip.

When I was 8, and in grade 2, my grandfather had a heart attack in his sleep. I never had the chance to say goodbye and I've recently made my peace with losing my one and only grandpa. Along with his passing, our airport pick-ups became nonexistent. To this day every time I walk through those doors to the arrival area there's a slight pang of loneliness and longing for my grandpa.

Over the years I've returned to Trudeau airport only to have my parents waiting in the car just outside, no friendly faces in the swarming crowds of the arrival area. To be honest, I'm always a little disappointed, there's this huge loving feeling that just happens when there's someone, any friendly face waiting for you after a plane ride home.

This year was different... Sis and I got off the plane, ran through customs, got our bags and made it through the doors... The usual pang of longing for grandpa crept over me, as I momentarily mourned the man I loved so wholeheartedly... It was short lived however because I immediately saw a face in the crowd, a familiar face, a friend. Emily was there, although not on my behalf, it still felt nice to have a warm homecoming. So thanks Em, I've waited for that moment for 11 years.

2 comments:

Emily said...

gosh
I am all warm and fuzzy inside

amd said...

me too and i'm not even involved!