Friday, January 02, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

1. Take life as it is, let be and stop fighting the flow.
2. Actually put effort into school and become the A student I am.
3. Take advantage of my savings account.
4. Become a better version of myself - physically, mentally and emotionally.
5. Do something that matters.

As the New Year approached I took advantage of the notion that 2008 would be put to rest and 2009 would be something new, fresh and worthy of change. Despite poor reception and an inability to communicate via telephone I managed to have a conversation I've been meaning and needing to have with the one person whose conversations matter to me. In spite of a 5 hour time difference, an ocean, participation in a scrabble game and guests over I had a conversation I will never forget.

I made my point, well argued, well said, emotion counterbalanced with clarity, logic and reason without instigating a fight. Point made, taken and respected. Answered fully, to the point and positively. It went fantastically, I had a great feeling about 2009, and I was right.

We agreed that things could be smoother, that change was necessary and would be beneficial, most importantly, together it would be done. I've waited so long for that understanding, the mutual acceptance and responsibility to be allocated to both parties. It felt good. Really, truly great.

I have to stop feeling like an immovable object is meeting an unstoppable force, friendship runs deep and can't be quantified, measured or analyzed. It needs to be and this realization spurred my first new year's resolution. I need to take that stance in more aspects of my life.

My second resolution roots in the fact that I've gotten 2/3 marks back, with no intention of bragging (not that my marks are fabulous) I've received a B+ in Stats I and an A- in Social Psych. I'm basically averaging between a 77-84, which by all means are pretty decent university grades, however the odds are stacked against me and I must excel in order to succeed. Over 2000 students in psych, 300 of which will be accepted to the graduate program of which only FIFTEEN, yes 15, make it into the clinical psychology field. Pretty scary odds and I need to be one of them. So I've got to drop the bullshit, pick up a textbook and get going. So here's to being an A student, cause 85-90 shouldn't be the impossible.

My third resolution is quite self-explanatory, I'm a big spender. On what? no friggin clue. Anyways I have every intention of traveling this summer and that means I need to have some spending money, ironic, I know. In the interim I must make a conscious and strong effort to save as much as possible. I've had a savings account for a while now and I've never put it to good use. Here's the perfect opportunity.

My fourth resolution might as well be an entire blogpost of its own but for the sake of not beating a dead dog, its been quite obvious that my life has been rather BLAH lately. In hopes of spicing it up and enjoying the so-called "best years of my life" I will make an effort to improve me. Physically - I need to get into shape, round is not a good shape. Mentally - figure out my neuroses and a way to get past them. Emotionally - perhaps kindle a flame or at least deal with my roller coasters.

My fifth resolution will in fact be saved for a future blogpost because I am obviously still unsure of what I will do in the next 364 days that will constitute making a difference. But be sure that when I do something of great importance, it will be well-documented.

Here's to 2009 - May it be all that I've dreamed it could be.

No comments: